I thought once finals were over I would be a free woman, but it turns out I've been even busier! The holiday season has brought many opportunities for performances with the middle school so I've been spending a lot of time practicing and performing. It has been a little stressful. The teacher I have been working with has been doing her student teaching this semester so we have both been trying to juggle work with our school schedule and it has been a little crazy. I've made the programs for each of our performances, graded hundreds of assignments, organized music, decorated the auditorium for our concert at the school (I have to admit I really did enjoy that part!), and at almost every performance I have had a least one piece of music that I ended up sight reading. That's the most stressful part for me because I hate messing up in a performance and it's a lot harder to avoid when I'm seeing the music for the first time. As an accompanist, I like knowing that I can play the piece well enough that I won't distract attention from the actual performer. All in all, I think the experience has been good for me. I've learned a lot about teaching and I've been pushed out of my comfort zone enough that I've been able to progress. Some days my attitude was not that great I have to admit. :)
There are four classes I have been working with; Orchestra I (6th grade), Orchestra II (7th & 8th Grade), 6th grade choir, and the 7th-8th grade choir. I made a little video that shows each group playing a song from our Christmas concert. I was going to insert that video here but I've tried uploading it twice and it never would finish even after I left the computer on all night. Sorry! These machines are so helpful yet so frustrating at times!
After the orchestra concert Mrs. Redd gave me a really pretty bouquet of flowers and yesterday at work she gave me a beautiful copy of the Forgotten Carols book. Some of the orchestra students brought me some really cute cards because it was my last day. I'm really going to miss seeing some of them!


One of our performances a few weeks ago was at the Children's Christmas Festival. I loved seeing the different themed Christmas displays and decorations they had put up. It was a magical wonderland!
1 comment:
You are so beautiful! I'm happy that you were able to learn so much and have such awesome experiences this year! That's so great. I bet the students loved you. And anyone that can sight read through a performance is incredibly talented in my book. So go you!
Post a Comment