Wednesday, April 8, 2009

the joy of tests

This morning I had a math test in my Math for Elementary Teachers class. Sounds easy right? I thought so too when I signed up for the course. It turns out that easy math you once thought you knew how to do really well can be made into a very complicated and difficult process of which you have no idea how to accomplish. I actually think my test this morning went pretty well but I ran into this comic that made me smile. Probably because I can totally relate to Calvin and yet I am going to school to become a part of "the system". It's ok though because my goal is to make learning meaningful and fun so that it's not just memorizing pointless facts. I know a lot of teachers who do that really well so I hope I can be as good as them!
Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest. If looking up at the clouds on your rough day doesn't help, reading Calvin and Hobbes is sure to.

Just in case it's too small for you to read, this is what it says:

Box 1 - Test: 1. When did the Pilgrims land at Plymouth Rock?

Box 2 - 1620

Box 3 - "As you can see, I've memorized this utterlly useless fact long enough to pass a test question. I now intend to forget it forever. You've taught me nothing except how to cynically manipulate the system. Congratulations."

Box 4 - "They say the satisfaction of teaching makes up for the lousy pay."


No comments: